Triple sifted Jamila Henna Powder is the workhorse of the henna industry. It gives reliable stains and won't clog your applicators. Henna can be applied to hair for coloring and to treat dandruff. The stain on hair is PERMANENT.
Mixing instructions for hair:
***Before applying to hair that has been chemically treated, harvest enough hair from your hairbrush to do a compatibility test. Apply henna to the harvested hair as instructed below. Chemically treated hair can have unexpected results when applying henna.
1. Mix powder with enough warm water to achieve the paste consistency that you prefer, somewhere between a mashed potato and yogurt consistency.
2. You can let the mixture sit for around 20 minutes if you'd like, but most people find that you can apply it right away. Do not let it sit for more than an hour before application. Henna paste mixed with water releases dye almost immediately.
3. Apply to roots of hair first, then ends (if desired). Henna stains hair permanently and does not fade. If you are regularly using henna on your hair, there is no need to reapply to the ends of your hair, only to the roots.
4. Leave the henna paste on your hair for a minimum of 4 hours, preferably 6 hours. You can wrap your hair with saran wrap, or a shower cap to keep it in place while you go about your day.
5. Rinse as much henna paste from the hair as possible, then shampoo as usual, following up with a generous amount of conditioner. You will find that conditioning the hair is the best way to remove the remaining henna paste. Your hair may require a little extra conditioning for a few days after applying henna.
Mixing instructions for body art:
1. Mix 100g henna powder with 4 tablespoons of sugar and 7 ounces of lemon juice.
2. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 12 hours.
3. Add 4-5 teaspoons (20ml-25ml) of essential oils (lavender or Amerikan Body Art Signature Blend)
4. Cover and let sit for another 12 hours.
5. You can add another ounce or so of lemon juice if you need to thin the paste to the appropriate consistency.
6. Strain* and freeze, or use it when you are ready. *Straining henna paste is optional as Jamila henna powder is triple sifted.
This recipe makes enough henna paste to fill about 2-1/2 of our 4oz squeeze bottles. Each 4oz squeeze bottle has enough henna paste for over 100 small henna designs.